Summary: This recipe comes from Nancy Silverton’s Mozza cookbook; it is truly divine!
- 1 pound red beets, stems removed and discarded, scrubbed and patted dry
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ T apple cider vinegar
- 1½ T Dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 T – ¼ c prepared horseradish
- mâche or 12 fresh chives for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400, and place the beets in a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer. Drizzle them with 2 T olive oil, season with the salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Cover the dish with foil and place it in the oven for 45-60 minutes, until the beets are easily pierced with a knife.
- Remove the beets from the oven, carefully remove the foil, and let the beets cool until you can handle them. Peel and then cut into 1/2″ cubes. Put these in a medium mixing bowl.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Add the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly to form an emulsion. Pour the dressing over the beets and toss to coat. Add 2 T of horseradish and toss again. Taste and add more salt, pepper or horseradish if desired.
- Transfer to a serving platter and scatter the mâche or chopped chives over the top. Serve at room temp.
Cooking time: 45 – 60minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4