Summary: A wonderfully fresh and super healthy salad.
- 3 c water
- 1 c uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c dried apricots (about 10), quartered
- 1/3 c raisins (golden or red)
- 1/3 c shelled, dry-roasted pistachios
- 1/4 c thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp grated lime rind
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- 2 T mirin (or slightly sweet white wine)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 – 1 tsp minced jalapeño
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- For the salad: combine the water, quinoa and salt in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, until quinoa is tender. Reserve 3 T cooking liquid, then drain the quinoa.
- Combine quinoa, apricots, raisins, pistachios, green onions, parsley, cilantro, mint and pepper in a large serving bowl, and set aside.
- For the vinaigrette: Combine the reserved 3 T cooking liquid with all remaining ingredients (lime zest through paprika) in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the quinoa, toss well to coat, and serve.
I found this recipe in CookingLight in 2005 and have made it many, many times since.
The original recipe calls for tossing the quinoa salad with thinly sliced romaine leaves. I’ve never done this because I feel like the romaine really detracts from the delicacy of the quinoa and apricots.
Number of servings (yield): 6