Mar 5th, 2012 by Em-i-lis
Summary: Hot damn! This is good eatin’!
- 5 oz baby Brussels sprouts; if they’re not really small, chop in half or thirds
- 2 T Spanish olive oil
- 1 large (!) clove garlic, peeled, sliced paper-thin
- ¼ tsp black mustard seeds (or regular)
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ blood orange, peeled, pith removed, fruit thinly sliced
- Maldon, for finishing
- In a small serving bowl or rimmed soup bowl, arrange the blood orange slices in a single layer. Set aside.
- In a skillet (8-10″), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until quite hot, ~315°. Then, toss in the garlic, mustard seeds and red pepper flakes, and stir about 2 minutes. You want the garlic slivers to turn into crisps so don’t be afraid!
- Put the Brussels sprouts in the skillet carefully (the oil is hot) and if you have one, cover with a splatter screen. Cook, shaking the skillet vigorously, for about 2 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are bright green.
- Pour the sprouts out over the blood orange slices, and, using a spatula, make sure to scrape out the remaining oil and spices from the pan. Sprinkle liberally with Maldon, serve and eat immediately.
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1
Recipe by Em-i-lis