Mar 3rd, 2012 by Em-i-lis
Summary: This is a delicious summer salad and is flexible regarding ingredients; use vegetables that you have on hand, that approximate the texture of these.
- ½ yellow squash, mandolined into paper-thin rounds
- ½ 8 ball zucchini, mandolined into paper-thin rounds
- 1 big handful yellow pole beans, steamed until crisp-tender then rinsed under cold water until cool
- 2-3 T pine nuts
- bit of EVOO
- generous sprinkling of za’atar*
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ small lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ c crumbled feta (I used Bulgarian because it is very crumbly and very creamy)
- 5 chives, chopped
- 1 sprig spearmint, chopped
- 1 large spring oregano, chopped
- Microwave the garlic in a covered bowl for 20 secs (quick roast), and let cool. Mash with a fork into a bowl with the lemon juice, some EVOO, the herbs and feta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix the pine nuts, EVOO, za’atar in a small skillet and cook until pine nuts are golden brown. Sprinkle the lemon zest on top and set aside to cool.
- Put your squash and zucchini slices into a bowl. Cut your beans into 1” pieces and put into bowl with squash.
- Pour dressing over and mix gently but well. Sprinkle pine nuts on top. Season with extra s, p, and za’atar as needed.
Number of servings (yield): 2