Recipe: Frik with Mixed Greens and Preserved Lemon
- 1 c cracked frik
- 1/2 T butter
- 4 ramps, white bulbs diced, greens reserved
- 1 bunch radish greens
- 1 bunch turnip greens
- 1/2 bunch spinach
- 1/3 preserved lemon, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- red pepper flakes
- pinch of sugar
- 4 fresh sundried tomatoes, slivered
- In a medium saucepan, melt better; then add frik and stir until grains are fragrant and toasting, just a few minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, a splash of cinnamon and some salt to the frik. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer fairly vigorously until frik is tender but maintains chewiness, about 13-15 minutes.
- Drain the frik, reserving 1/4 cooking liquid just in case.
- In a large skillet, put a bit of EVOO, the chopped preserved lemon, the diced ramp whites, a pinch of crushed red pepper, a pinch of sugar, and the minced garlic.
- Saute’ 1-2 minutes and add spinach, turnip and radish greens (when you wash them, don’t dry them excessively; the water that remains on the leaves will help steam them in the skillet).
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Squeeze some lemon on top if you’d like; I did.
- Cook until the greens are nicely wilted but not soggy, and remove from heat.
- Mound frik in a serving bowl and spoon the greens mixture around it.
- As I had just made the anchovy-butter for the radish crostini, I put the slivered sundried tomatoes into that same skillet (which I had not cleaned out), and swirled them around it on low heat so they could absorb some of the butteriness.
- Place tomatoes atop the frik and greens and serve immediately.
I used what was around, so feel that you can be flexible with your grain and veggies.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe by Em-i-lis.com