Summary: This is an extremely easy way to prepare flank steak. While the marinade is fairly muted, this is a solid recipe, and easy to boost with flavorful sides and/or a chutney or mustard on top.
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 1/3 c soy sauce
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced or thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (my addition)
- 1 flank steak, about 1.5 pounds
- Whisk together the oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, pepper and pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- With the tip of a knife, lightly score the surface of the steak in a crisscross pattern. Immerse the steak in the marinade and refrigerate for several hours, turning it over now and then.
- Prepare a grill. When hot, place the steak on the grill, shaking off excess marinade first. Cook roughly 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Let the steak rest for a few minutes, then slice it thinly on the diagonal.
from Jeff Gordinier in the New York Times Dining section, 8/31/11
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4