Summary: I adapted this from a recipe by Mrs. Wheelbarrow
- 2 c diced rhubarb
- 2½ c sour cherries
- ½ c sweet cherries (or sour cherries if you don’t have both)
- 1 medium onion, chopped small but not all the way to dice
- 2 garlic cloves, slivered
- ½ c crystallized ginger
- ½ c dried cherries
- ½ c dried cranberries
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 c brown sugar
- 2-3 super hot thai chiles, pierced
- Get your canning pot ready: water boiling, jars sterilizing, etc. This makes 2½ – 3 pints.
- Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, or almost. Turn down the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring regularly and gently, for 40-45 minutes. The chutney will thicken, but try not to let the fruit break down too much; it’s nice to have small chunks.
- Remove the hot peppers.
- Ladle the chutney into your readied jars, screw on the lids and bands, and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Makes (yield): 2½ – 3 pints