This is Mario Batali’s recipe and is used in the Eggplant Involtini recipe posted in entrees.
Summary: Makes 4 cups.
- ¼ c EVOO
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into ¼” dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 T chopped fresh thyme
- ½ medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 28 oz cans whole San Marzano tomatoes
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot and cook until the carrot is quite soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, with their juice, and bring to a boil, stirring often and mashing the tomatoes some. Lower the heat and simmer until as thick as hot cereal, about 30 minutes. Season with salt.
This sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for 6 months.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)