Summary: A delicious snack or easy hors d’ full of Louisiana flavor and kick.
- 1 pound spicy pork sausage (I like andouille or hot Italian), casings removed
- 1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar, grated
- 3 c organic pancake mix (I use Whole Foods’ buttermilk pancake mix)
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- cayenne for sprinkling
- In a 10″ skillet, lightly brown the sausage to release some of the grease, crumbling the meat as you go. Drain on paper towels if necessary. Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, mix together the browned sausage, grated cheese, and baking mix. By the 1/8 c, add buttermilk until the mix comes together. You don’t want this to be wet, but you do want to be able to roll the mix into balls. Using a spoon and your hands, make walnut-size balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with cayenne. Cook until brown (about 15 mins), cool and serve or store.
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Recipe by Em-i-lis