Summary: Just unreal. Fabulous. You’ll eat more than you think you can.
- 1 baguette, sliced and brushed with olive oil
- 1 pound shelled and skinned fava beans (this is about 1 lb 5 oz shelled favas, so probably nearly 2 pounds whole favas)
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz grated pecorino, plus more for shaving on top the crostini
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 10 mint leaves
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450. Place the baguette slices, brushed with olive oil, on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- To prepare the fresh favas: shell the beans. Heat a medium pot of water to boiling; blanch shelled favas in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to an ice bath (bowl of water + ice) to cool rapidly. When cool, use your fingernail or a paring knife to slice open the skin and slip the inner beans out. After doing this, you should have roughly a pound left.
- In a food processor, put the shelled, blanched, cooled and skinned fava beans, the 1/3 c of EVOO, pecorino, salt, mint leaves, lemon juice and several rounds of freshly ground pepper. Puree until chunky but smooth.
- If you haven’t already, put the baking sheet of baguette slices into the oven and cook until golden brown.
- Remove and dab 1-2 T of fava bean puree on each slice. Sprinkle with salt if you want, drizzle with a little EVOO and shave a bit of pecorino on top. Serve!
Recipe by Em-i-lis