Summary: Bar none the best lemon pie I’ve ever had, this is an old family recipe from my maternal grandmother.
- 1 baked 9″ pie crust
- 4 eggs, separated
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 c freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 T water
- 1 c sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 325. Put egg yolks in top of a double boiler and whisk until thick, a few minutes. Add the lemon zest, juice, water and 1/2 c sugar, beat well and cook over the hot water until sugar is dissolved, a few more minutes. Reserve.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff. Add the remaining sugar and continue beating until sugar is blended into the whites.
- Fold 1/2 of the meringue into the warm yolk and lemon mixture to lighten. When everything is well combined, pour the mixture into the baked pie crust.
- Using a spoon or spatula, drop dollops of the remaining meringue in a circle around the pie’s periphery. Bake in the oven until the meringue is lightly browned, approximately 15-20 minutes.
Recipe by Nanny and Em-i-lis