Summary: I adapted this caramel from this recipe and served mine with freshly cut apples. Delish!
- 3/4 c plus 2 T heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 4 T (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- In a small pitcher, put cream and vanilla. Mix.
- Stir sugar, corn syrup, and 2 tablespoons water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high; boil, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with a wet pastry brush, until deep amber color forms, 5-6 minutes (it took me almost double this).
- Remove from heat; gradually add vanilla cream (mixture will bubble vigorously). Whisk over medium heat until smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in cold butter and salt. Strain into a heatproof measuring cup. Let cool slightly.
Do not worry if the sugar mixture hardens when you add the cream. Just keep whisking vigorously over medium heat until it melts again and incorporates into the added cream.