Summary: An Em-i-lis variation on Mark Bittman’s whole grain muffin recipe
- 2½ c whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ c unrefined sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1-2 dashes cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 c pureed pumpkin (I use canned organic pumpkin)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ c buttermilk
- 3 Italian plums, pitted and chopped
- 2 T pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 375, and prepare a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and dash of cinnamon. Set aside. In another, smaller bowl, whisk together the melted butter, pumpkin, egg and buttermilk. Fold the wet mixture into the dry and stir until just combined.
- Place a few pieces of chopped plum in the bottom of each muffin cup. Spoon some muffin batter over the plums and then top with a sprinkling of pepitas. Bake 18 minutes, or until muffins are puffed, firm yet tender. Serve warm!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 18 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Variation: use 1 c sweet potato puree in place of the pumpkin, add 1 small zucchini that you’ve grated, and 1/2 c of blueberries in place of the plums
Recipe by Em-i-lis