Summary: I have always loved strawberry muffins, but, as with strawberry cake, it’s hard to find ones made from scratch. These are! And if you enjoy lavender, it’s a lovely addition. I’ve noted that option below.
- 2½ c whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ c sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1¼ c chopped strawberries
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ c buttermilk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 6 T butter, browned
- 2 T whey (or additional buttermilk)
- 1-2 tsp chopped lavender, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a small saucepan set over medium or med-high heat, brown the butter. Then set aside to cool a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gently toss in the chopped strawberries and lavender if you’re using it.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, whey (or additional buttermilk) and browned butter.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir gently until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups, and bake 16-17 minutes or until golden brown and set.
Cooking time: 16-17 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Recipe by Em-i-lis (based on Mark Bittman’s muffin recipe)