Apr 8th, 2012 by Em-i-lis
- 1 c spelt flour
- 2 T sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, preferably Guatemalan as it’s super pungent
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c whey (from making fresh ricotta), or buttermilk
- 1 T butter, melted
- 6 green cardamom pods, cracked open, insides removed and shells discarded
- 1/4 c raw pistachios, shelled
- powdered sugar, cubed mango and whipped cream for serving
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients (spelt flour through ground cardamom). Whisk well and set aside. In a smaller bowl, combine the egg, whey and butter. Whisk well to combine and set aside.
- In a mini-prep food processor, put the shelled pistachios and what you’ve removed from the cardamom pods. Pulverize until finely chopped. Pour this combo into the spelt flour mixture you’ve set aside, and stir to combine well. Gently stir in the liquid mixture until just combined.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat (I like to work at 380 or so degrees). Spray with nonstick spray or brush lightly with melted butter. Spoon batter onto the griddle, four pancakes at a time (3-4″ across each). When all cooked, make stacks, sprinkle with powdered sugar, add a dollop of whipped cream and a generous smattering of cubed mangoes. Serve!
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe by Em-i-lis