Recipe: Spelt-Cherry-Cardamom Scones
Summary: Great whole-grain breakfast treat
- ½ cup organic rolled oats (not quick cooking or instant)
- 2 c organic spelt flour
- ½ c organic brown cane sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (make sure it’s fresh)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 6 T organic unsalted, softened butter
- 1 organic egg
- ½ c organic buttermilk, or plain kefir
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ c dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat (don’t spray or oil).
- In a blender, pulverize the oats until you have coarse flour.
- Place the oat flour into a large mixing bowl, and add the spelt flour, cane sugar, baking powder, cardamom, baking soda, and salt.
- Using two knives (or your fingers), cut in the butter until it’s well incorporated and the flour resembles coarse crumbs (don’t obsess too much over this). Set aside.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, lightly beat the egg.
- Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla, and add to the flour mixture.
- Stir to combine (at first you’ll think you don’t have enough liquid, but you probably do; if not, add a tiny bit more buttermilk).
- Gently fold in the cherries.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the dough into balls and drop on your lined baking sheet a couple inches apart from each other (they don’t spread too much).
- Bake until golden brown, 17-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
These freeze well. I love to serve them with cherry jam. I canned my own last summer but there are many good options at the store too!
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 17 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe adapted by Em-i-lis from a Whole Foods’ recipe.