Recipe: Our boys’ favorite muffins
Summary: Tasty, flexible, whole-wheat muffin recipe adapted from Mark Bittman
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed or puréed banana, sweet potato, apple, grated zucchini, cooked or canned pumpkin, or other fruits or vegetables
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease two 6-cup muffin tins or fill with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, banana (or other), egg and buttermilk.
- Fold wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins or liners; bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until muffins are puffed and turning golden brown on top. Serve warm if possible.
makes 12 muffins; I like to add cinnamon to the basic mix, and when I use blueberries, I also grate in lemon zest. Nutmeg is nice for a more autumnal muffin.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Recipe adapted by Em-i-lis