Summary: A fresh take on our favorite muffins
- 2½ c whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ c unrefined, granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- generous ¼ tsp (more like ¼ + ⅛ tsp) each of ground coriander and ground cardamom
- scant ¼ tsp cinnamon
- zest of two Pixie tangerines, clementines or the like
- juice of one of those little oranges
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ c buttermilk
- ½ c unsweetened applesauce
- ½ c dried cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375, and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coriander, cardamom, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the orange zest and juice, butter, egg, buttermilk and applesauce. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and stir gently to combine. Don’t overmix. Fold in the cherries.
- Drop batter into all 12 cups of the muffin pan and bake 17 minutes, or until golden and firm.
Cooking time: 17 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Recipe by Em-i-lis