Summary: These are just so, so good. Sweet, spiced, fresh!
Vegan, Vegetarian, GF
- ~1 pound fresh figs
- 1 c water
- scant 1/2 c coriander sugar*
- 5 allspice berries, cracked gently
- pinch coriander seeds
- 1 generous grind fresh black pepper
- In a deep saucepan large enough to hold all the figs in a single layer, place said figs. Sprinkle the sugar over them and then gently pour in the water. Add the remaining spices, and bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn heat down until you’ve got the mixture going at a nice simmer. After 15-20 minutes, remove figs with a slotted spoon and let the syrup cook down some. Once it’s to your preferred consistency, let it cool and pour back over the figs.
- Serve immediately with toasted bread and blue cheese, over fresh ricotta or greek yogurt, or chill and just eat with abandon whenever the mood strikes.
- *I was given a can of Sucre Roux a la Coriandre which is, in essence, coriander-infused sugar. I suspect you might be able to whisk coriander into unrefined cane sugar and achieve a similar result.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
Recipe by Em-i-lis