Summary: I found this recipe many years ago and have tweaked it only slightly. It’s wonderfully healthy and flavorful.
- 1 c canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- ⅔ c evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- ½ c sugar
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- ¼ c wheat bran or wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp each salt, cinnamon, ground cloves
- 1 c prunes, coarsely chopped
- ⅔ c walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350, and spray a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, egg and sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, bran or germ, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet, and add prunes and walnuts until just combined.
- Pour into the pan and bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes.
This freezes beautifully.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 10
Recipe adapted by Em-i-is