- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (or lime juice)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest (or lime zest)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 6 T unsalted butter, cut into bits
- Whisk together juice, zest, sugar, and eggs in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Stir in butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk and first bubble appears on surface, about 6 minutes. It will thicken more as it chills.
- Transfer curd to a bowl and chill, its surface covered with plastic wrap, until cold, at least 1 hour.
You can keep this chilled in your fridge for several weeks. This recipe makes about 1⅓ c.